Goulburn-Murray Water is warning the public to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock after monitoring detected high levels of blue-green algae.
Warning signs will be positioned at major recreational areas around Lake Eppalock and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present. Lake Eppalock will not be closed to the public.
GMW recommends water users from Lake Eppalock seek an alternative water supply.
You can still sightsee and enjoy other activities at Lake Eppalock that do not involve direct contact with the water.
GMW recommends that people and pets do not enter the water and people who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
GMW has a fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at GMW’s blue-green algae webpage (www.g-mwater.com.au/bluegreenalgae-alert).
Blue-green algae occur naturally in waterbodies. They contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness; sore eyes, ears and nose; or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
G-MW cannot predict how long the algae will remain at high levels.