Decision is needed on carryover

By Country News

Goulburn-Murray Water is calling on customers to make choices about their unused water following the end of the 2017-18 irrigation season.

For those who won’t use their allocation by June 30, G-MW customer operations general manager Scott Barber said there were a number of options, including selling unused water.

‘‘You can find a buyer yourself, or use a water broker or solicitor to find one for you,’’ he said.

‘‘We provide application forms and information on end-of-season water trading on our website.’’

Trade applications must be lodged with G-MW by June 27, or June 30 if the application is made through the online trading portal.

‘‘You may have the option of keeping some or all of your unused water allocation from this irrigation season and taking it into the next season, subject to rules, where it can be used or traded as normal. This is termed carryover,’’ Mr Barber said.

Customers wishing to carry over their unused allocation must trade it into an allocation account linked to a sufficient volume of water shares.

To do this, an ‘application to trade water allocation’ form (Form 39) must be submitted to G-MW by June 27.

A carryover calculator is also available on the Victorian Water Register website and can help customers understand how the carryover rules apply to their system.

‘‘Finally, if you do not wish to use, sell or carry over your unused water, you can apply to relinquish your allocation. There is no charge to relinquish water,’’ Mr Barber said.

To relinquish water, applications must be lodged with G-MW by June 27 by submitting an ‘application to relinquish allocation’ form (Form 41), or June 30 if the application is made online via the Victorian Water Register’s My Water application.

Relinquishing water stops the automated carryover process and means customers with more allocation than entitlement will avoid an above-entitlement fee.

To avoid risk of unused allocation being written off, G-MW encourages irrigators to consider their options and make a decision before June 30.

■For more information, visit: www.gmwater.com.au/endofseason or www.waterregister.vic.gov.au or phone G-MW on 1800 013 357.