Agriculture Victoria is responding to a confirmed incident of anthrax in sheep on a single property near Swan Hill.
Victorian acting chief veterinary officer Dr Cameron Bell said quarantine notices had been put in place until the necessary biosecurity requirements, including carcase disposal and site disinfection, were completed.
He said the case was on a farm which has had a history of anthrax and at-risk stock on the property are vaccinated.
Anthrax is caused by a naturally occurring bacteria, Bacillus anthracis, that is known to be present in the soil in parts of northern Victoria.
Farmers are urged to report any cases of unexplained livestock deaths to the 24-hour Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline on 1800 675 888, to your local vet or to Agriculture Victoria animal health staff.
The risk to human health is low however people exposed or potentially exposed to anthrax should refer to the Communicable Disease Hotline on 1300 651 160.