News

NSW bushfires burn path of destruction

By Country News

The Rural Fire Service NSW has confirmed more than 250 homes have been destroyed, with almost 90 damaged.

Some 480 outbuildings and 18 facilities have also been razed.

While conditions eased following a "catastrophic" danger rating earlier last week, the forecast of hot, dry weather again posed a threat on Friday.

RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons admitted authorities expected another tough day for fatigued NSW firefighters.

“It's going to be another very difficult day for people from the Hawkesbury right up to the mid-north coast, right up to the fires burning on the Queensland border,” he said.

“Unfortunately these strong winds, up to 60, 75 km/h across the ranges, are really going to cause challenges.

“The fire at Bora Ridge burning south-east of Casino flared to emergency level on Thursday but has since been downgraded to ‘watch and act’ level.”

An additional five NSW blazes are at ‘watch and act'.

At the end of last week, more than 1300 firefighters were battling some 60 bushfires, more than half of which were uncontained, the RFS said.

But the RFS believes their efforts have saved more than 2000 buildings.

“There's fatigue all right, the physical fatigue, but these men and women, they're so emotionally and mentally invested in just trying to save and protect their communities,” Mr Fitzsimmons said.

The death toll since Friday, November 8 now stands at four.